Fuzzy Logic
Fuzzy Logic
April 20, 2024, 11:00:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Fuzzy Logic Forums

Home Help Search Links Login Register  

Our redneck patio

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our redneck patio  (Read 78 times)
SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:19:23 am »

We've been plugging away in our spare time working on the patio out front. Please excuse the untidyness of this work in progress  Cheesy

The re do

Retaining wall and part of the patio

View from the side

How the patio works with the 'Woodland Garden'

The new walkway

How it looked in January when the 'big rock' came to our current home from the house we lived at before

What we started with in 2009

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:21:12 am by SimplyPam » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:37:58 am »

I don't know about Redneck, but that's looking good... Really good!!! I can see there's a lot of work and effort gone in to it, well done to you guys. Cool

What's the green spreading plant you have growing between the stones, and how are you planning on finishing the top of the concrete block wall..... Or is that it finished as it is, hence the Redneck title? Grin
Report Spam   Logged

A member of that vast right wing conspiracy and Governor of the 57th State.
SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:57:05 am »

The green plant is a native called horse herb and it just pops up here and there. Makes a nice grass substitute in the dense shade. I cannot get grass growing in the front yard at all, too shady. There is also creeping thyme, dwarf mondo grass and ajuga in the cracks. I call it redneck because none of these stones were purchased, all were actually picked up or dug up and aren't machined or smoothed. I like seeing the cavities left by the fossils. These stone are part of the whiterock escarpment and used to be on the bottom of a sea.

The blocks are a work in progress. I have roughly half of them planted with sedum and plan on finishing the tops with that. I do also plan to plant on each side of the retaining wall, but Jeff is concerned that it won't be apparent that this is a 18 inch step down if I cover it completely with plants (which is my wish). He's afraid that someone may think that it's just a row of plants, step over and fall. I see his point also and may go another way.
Report Spam   Logged
werner

Now more than ever

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:36:12 pm »

I love the natural rocks Pam. Any of the mosses found locally should grow in that shady environment. if you paint the cinderblocks with a buttermilk slurry and stick the moss to it, it may solve that problem.

To be red neck you need the following: a rusted out BBQ, a tattered confederate flag. a beer cooler half the size of your pickup, a bunch of nekkid kids running around, a pregnant Cousin 9 months along, dressed in short shorts and a tube top Wink

Looks to me like you have some work to do Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 01:00:42 am »

LOL Werner, we did leave the beer cooler out of the pics.

Great idea on the moss,I'll have to look around for some. It's been so dry here, unless we get a tornado or remnants of a hurricane, we don't get much rain.

Six people were killed in our old home town last Wednesday when we had an F4 come through. I think we got .5 an inch of rain, forty miles from the tornado. Jeff works near where the tornado hit, but had been given the night off, I was so thankful that he was here. The worst damage and all of the deaths were in a Habitat for Humanity neighborhood, so sad.
Report Spam   Logged
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:17:02 am »

We heard of that tornado on the news Pam....it is sad.
I like it.....really inviting.  I like that mondo grass border too. 
Looks like to me, the block is up high enough to distinguish a different level-especially since you have the lower level to get out to the street.  Of course if you have a few guests that have a few too many, then it might be a problem of someone stepping off.....but it's a shame you can't go with the sedum....(neat idea).
Report Spam   Logged
SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:13:16 am »

Thanks all!

Ruth, I love the mondo grass too  Cheesy I'm working on dividing it up and using as a lawn substitute. I did finish planting the block tops with sedum, but it will be a while before they are full and spilling out, as I envision.

I will likely try to establish some moss on the block and plant something low growing on either side to minimize the look of 'cinder block wall'.
Report Spam   Logged
Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:54:55 am »

Some good ideas there Pam. The Sedum should have no problem getting established in the pockets in the wall. That'll help the moss to grow because the dampness from watering the sedums will leach through the wall of the concrete blocks.
Report Spam   Logged

A member of that vast right wing conspiracy and Governor of the 57th State.
Ms JoJo
FuzzyLogic Photographer in Chief.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 01:47:46 am »

I love your patio....  The whole place is gorgeous.... I love the woodland garden, makes me home sick for the mountains.... 
Report Spam   Logged

“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
― Dr. Seuss
Ms JoJo
FuzzyLogic Photographer in Chief.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 01:51:09 am »

Sedum will do great, I have sedum and hen and chicks growing in the rock walls of my pond.... 
Report Spam   Logged

“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
― Dr. Seuss
SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 04:56:56 am »

Thanks Jojo, we love our yard too. The yard is very slanted in all directions. When the neighborhood was built around 30 years ago, they did not grade and clearcut and then replant the little trees out front like so many new areas. Result is a very unlevel yard all around. Some of the trees are older than me...pretty dang old  Wink

I hope the moss will 'take' over that hideous pink paint. A funny story, we wanted to do terra cotta colored paint on the block and had enough of that shade in the garage. It was just too orange so in an effort to tone it down with some pale gray exterior paint, I created a color that I am not happy with. Who knew that an orange terra cotta mixed with too much pale gray would yield pink?

We had to paint them, the block was free for picking up but had splotches of other paint when we got them.We had to buy the rebar and glue  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: