Fuzzy Logic
Fuzzy Logic
March 29, 2024, 07:38:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Fuzzy Logic Forums

Home Help Search Links Login Register  

Tuesday is Garbage Day - Again

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuesday is Garbage Day - Again  (Read 2459 times)
Steve E.

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:21:37 am »

Today is Tuesday.  For me that is garbage day.  It is the one day of the week when I must absolutely complete a specific household task.  Our garbage is picked up early Wednesday morning so the cans must go out to the curb tonight.  Take today for instance...Got up as usual.  Walked the dog for about an hour at the close-by park.  Actually it is called a "Preserve" - a spiffy name to give an area designed to detain excessive rain runoff due to poorly designed storm water systems for newish subdivisions.  The city was forced into building this area as the result of a lawsuit by downstream homeowners whose homes were frequently getting flooded by the increase in runoff from these new subdivisions.  Of course now the city has leased a significant portion of this preserve to a local fly fishing club to build a club house, hold numerous classes, etc.  But I digress.

After the morning walk it was some yard work.  A trip to the store.  A doctor visit.  Yet not done for the day as the garbage must be collected, put into the cans, and out to the street.  Also normally today I would have gone out to the range for some pistol practice.  Due to the doctor visit I just did not have the time to load the car, drive out to the range, set up targets, get holster and belt on, load magazines and finally start the practice. 

Then there is of course checking email and WeirdUniverse.net for any recent postings.  Good stuff for those with a fascination for news of the weird.

Well more next week

Steve
Report Spam   Logged

Never anger the God of Perversity or Murphy, who is His Prophet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:08:31 pm »

I really missed your 'Tuesday is garbage day' posts!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
werner

Now more than ever

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:19:12 pm »

This is a garbage post Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 12:42:50 am »

This is a garbage post Roll Eyes

LOL... You're right Mr. Werner. Grin

Good to see the Tuesday garbage day make a return though as it was always a good read before.
Report Spam   Logged

A member of that vast right wing conspiracy and Governor of the 57th State.
Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 12:44:21 am »

What sort of pistol do you practice with Steve and are you any good with it?
Report Spam   Logged

Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 05:03:58 am »

Depends on the day.  At least once a week with a full size 1911 in .45 or 9mm,  twice a month with the ccw officer model 1911's in .45.  I do shoot others but occasionally.  Then there is home defense shotgun.  Am I any good.  Sure...I can hit center mass almost all of the time.  Qualifying for a ccw is 27 rounds out of 30 in center mass, which I can do.

But if we are talking about USPSA competition, then sort-of.  For a timed course scored positively for hits, penalized for misses, run against the clock, and compared against the top shooter of that division, I usually place down near the bottom.  Competing against 20 and 30 year old folks who can really move and have much better eyesight can be humbling.  In fact at the last match I went to war with the third steel popper at 20 yards and had to reload before it went down.  But I am there to work on gun handling skills while under the stress of the clock and accuracy and having fun at the same time.  Plus so far I have met my three goals in each match:  1)  Do Not shoot myself in the foot when drawing the pistol from the holster.  2)  At least hit the targets.  and 3)  Do Not break the 180 rule (which is pointing your pistol up-range).
Report Spam   Logged

SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 01:49:25 am »

Those rules make a lot of sense!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 02:58:50 am »

Depends on the day.  At least once a week with a full size 1911 in .45 or 9mm,  twice a month with the ccw officer model 1911's in .45.  I do shoot others but occasionally.  Then there is home defense shotgun.  Am I any good.  Sure...I can hit center mass almost all of the time.  Qualifying for a ccw is 27 rounds out of 30 in center mass, which I can do.

But if we are talking about USPSA competition, then sort-of.  For a timed course scored positively for hits, penalized for misses, run against the clock, and compared against the top shooter of that division, I usually place down near the bottom.  Competing against 20 and 30 year old folks who can really move and have much better eyesight can be humbling.  In fact at the last match I went to war with the third steel popper at 20 yards and had to reload before it went down.  But I am there to work on gun handling skills while under the stress of the clock and accuracy and having fun at the same time.  Plus so far I have met my three goals in each match:  1)  Do Not shoot myself in the foot when drawing the pistol from the holster.  2)  At least hit the targets.  and 3)  Do Not break the 180 rule (which is pointing your pistol up-range).

WOW... I didn't realize you were almost a professional gun slinger... Cool.

Getting a CCP is something I've been wanting to do for a long time now. Here in SC it's an eight hour course that all takes place in one day although even with being able to practice in the back yard I'm no where near your level of proficiency especially with a hand gun, but I can hit a golf ball at about 100 yards with my Savage rifle in .223. It's a nice light rifle although slightly annoying in that it only holds four rounds in the magazine. I looked online for an extended mag for it without any luck unfortunately.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 09:06:27 am »

Do you already have a hand gun Fuzzy?  How about a holster?  Revolver vs semi-auto?  The course I took was 8 hours of classroom on a Saturday then 5 hours on the range on Sunday.  The lead instructor/owner is retired military.  California gun laws are something else plus some attention was given to the decision one needed to make when he or she carries concealed.  Basically if you have not made that decision then one should really reconsider the decision to carry concealed.  (Think about it and you all are smart enough to figure it out) 

So at the range we were asked to rate ourselves on a scale of 1 - 10 as to our competency with our firearm of choice.  Then we were broken up into two groups of 12 each.  Each bay had 6 stations set-up with a barrel on which to place our guns. Instructor ratio was 2 students per instructor plus a spare for extra eyes and safety.  So there was 4 instructors for each bay. 

We started with the basics and did everything by the numbers.  Oh yeah almost forgot...each firearm was inspected by an instructor for working reliability and safety as well as our holsters and magazine or speed loader pouches.  Some of the drills were to draw from your holster by the numbers, aim, and dry fire.  How to clear a miss-fire.  Hand and trigger finger placement on your particular gun.  In my case an officer's model 1911 in .45 caliber.  Live fire was started off slowly.  Two to three rounds in a mag for autos and two to three in a cylinder for those with wheel guns.  (slang term for a revolver, makes me sound like know something)  For miss fires your station partner would load your magazine with a snap cap somewhere in the middle.  As one would fire at the target you would eventually come to the "dummy" round and experience a miss fire.  Up to you to clear it and continue to engage the target.  The last hour was qualify time.  Silhouette targets (23" by 35")  Starting at 5 yards, then 7 yards, finishing at 15 yards.  Shooting was a timed course of fire with about 10 seconds for each set of 5 rounds.  This was done from the holster.

The instructors were excellent.  They closely monitored each student and helped where necessary.  There were two ladies and one guy who had very limited experience with a handgun.  The instructors took extra time with them.  In fact the lead instructor stayed later with one couple and made sure the lady qualified.  She just needed the extra hands on instruction that he provided.  In fact I was/am so impressed with this company that I took their advanced course.  That was a full day at the range and much more intense.  Great learning experience with great people.

I have since gone to Blade Tech holsters for both concealed carry and for USPSA matches.  They seem to be the best for me based on ease of draw and retention.  I have used Blackhawk Serpa holsters with their finger release but have found they require a large amount of Practice to develop the muscle memory for drawing the gun from the holster.

I try to shoot at least once a week for competition and twice a month with my carry gun.  I shoot between 75 and 100 rounds per week.  If I wasn't competing I would probably shoot 50 rounds per week. 

If you are still looking for an extended magazine for you Savage .223, try Snyder Magazines at snydermags.com first, then search on gunbrokers.com.  Snyder makes a custom magazine for the Savage Axis as long as it has a removable magazine.  You will find their offerings under the products tab.
Report Spam   Logged

Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 07:08:43 am »

Yes Steve, I have two handguns.... A 9mm Smith and Wesson semi auto and a 38 Smith and Wesson revolver that holds five rounds. In addition to those I also have a Mossberg pump action shotgun along with a high powered air rifle which I prefer to use for taking down the tree rats that raid my bird feeders. I don't have a holster yet due to uncertainty about which one might work best for me, plus there are so many different ones out there. I get the Rifleman magazine every month and it's packed with adverts for various makes of holster. The one thing all the adverts say is that their make/model is the best there is. Roll Eyes

The course you describe sounds fairly similar to the courses available in our locality, so I guess they're pretty much standardised around the country where a permit is required.

Thanks for the links and although it's a drawn out process I'll be in touch with Snydermags in the near future. Unfortunately the other link you supplied seems to have had some hacking problems and the site is down right now.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 11:19:50 am »

So today started out great.  Slept well and ready to rock or in my case roll.  Got up did my morning routine and took the dog out for her walk.  Now one might think that me having to walk the dog is a must do everyday thing.  Yes, But Not Exactly.  During the week if I have an appointment she can do her business in the back yard.  Which means I have to search for the results.  On the weekends, most of the time my better half takes her out for a walk.  Now there are two reasons for me walking the dog.  1) She gets out to enjoy new smells, maybe swim in one of the ponds, and of course do her business off the trail where I don't have to pick it up.  And.  2)  It gets me out of the house for a one mile or so walk which my doctor likes.  As for me, I have never liked to walk without purpose.  That includes hiking and running.  So the dog walking gives me purpose.

After the dog walk it was off to the post office to pick up mail.  Then to Los Gordos Taqueria for lunch.  Great food, great staff, and fast.  Even today with every table occupied it was only a 3 or 4 minute wait.  Hardly enough time to get my drink, salsa, and open my book.  Same lunch I get 99% of the time.  Pollo Asado soft taco, rice, and whole beans.  Plus the ladies put up with my spanish.  I usually like to eat about 1:30 as it is slower.  Time to linger over a book or chat with the waitresses.  Nice people, nice place.

Then home about 1:45 today and that is when I actually started this weeks note.  But then I remembered that I needed to pick up some groceries for tonight's supper.  Off to the corner market and home again.  That meant I had to start cooking.  So of course this note got delayed.  Then there was the two times I started to gather up the trash from the room cans.  Then time to feed the dog.  Then my better half got home from another day in the salt mine and she needed the computer to answer emails for the State of Jefferson committee.

Finally supper was ready and we were able to sit down for a bit.  Then of course clean-up.  AND least we forget gather up the garbage, put it into the grey container (an aside is it spelt "grey" or "gray', never could keep those two straight) and the blue recycle container.  Then both containers out to the street.

Oh yeah almost forgot.  Happen to look out of the window as I was answering the phone and saw one of my koi jumping.  It was not in a good way.  Went out to the pond and she was flashing and rubbing on the bottom big time, plus the jumping.  So time to check for parasites and treat the pond.  Koi Keeping, the gift that keeps on giving.  So today's note winds down as it is after nine here.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 12:00:33 pm »

I have gotten away from the Blackhawk Serpa style holsters and gone to Blade Tech.  Both are made of a Kydex (plastic) material.  Fit solidly on your belt and cover the trigger guard.  The Serpa style has a spring loaded trigger guard lock that one releases by pushing in on a lever with the trigger finger.  This also places the trigger finger in a good position to find the reference point on the side of the gun that helps one to keep their finger off of the trigger.  Very important as this prevents a negligent discharge, like into one's own body.  Another mfg is Galco.  I prefer a semi-automatic pistol.  Probably because that is what I learned to shoot with way back in my almost teens.

Muscle memory is what I am working on at this time with my shooting.  I started slow by the numbers but have graduated to a smooth motion.  Not so fast yet but it is getting smoother.  The speed will come the more I practice.  When I shoot at the range I set up two target stands with three 9 inch paper pie plates on each one.  My timer has a random start time setting so I can push the button and get ready for the bell.  I then shoot twice at each target in a pre-thought out sequence.  The timer records each shot and stops when the noise stops.  Adds a bit of stress to the practice.  With my carry gun I have 7 round magazines.  This means I must do a combat reload during the sequence.  If I am using my full size frame I have 10 round extended magazines.  Still have to reload, just go through the target sequence twice.

When I shoot the .45's I use a 230 grain cartridge.  That is what I learned on and that has the most stopping power.  For my 9mm I have gone to a 147 grain cartridge.  It has less recoil and sustains the ballistic energy longer.  A little less muzzle velocity but closer in energy levels at 25 yards and higher a greater than 25 yards.  Not that I expect to be defending my self at ranges greater than 25 yards.

A big help for me has been the purchase of the defensive handgun manual from Frontsight.com.  It has reinforced what my instructors have taught.  Plus it has information on each type of firearm.

I too have a shotgun or two for home defense.  One 20 ga for the wife because she does not shoot that much and it is a little bit easier to handle.  For me, I have a 12 guage.  Since I carry 50 pounds more that my slim and beautiful better half the 12 ga does not beat me up too much.  Plus I have 7.5 shot loaded in both guns so there is less impact on the body for me.  Also cheaper than 00 or 000 buckshot and won't go through all the walls of the house and maybe cause unwanted injuries.

Your Savage .223 interests me.  I never thought along those lines for a .223.  Sounds like you enjoy shooting it and in your own backyard.  Must be nice.  Let me know how the custom magazine from Snyder works.  I might be thinking about saving up for a purchase.  The range for me is only 15 minutes away.  What has helped me a lot is building a relationship with several of the gun shop owners and employees.  And I keep in touch with my ccw instructor.  Also plan on taking a private lesson or two from him one of these days.

In the mean time I have a range officer course at the end of this month here locally.  Of course that means I will have to actually work as a range officer at some of the matches.  But the more training the better for me.  Then as soon as I can save the money I will be taking a 4 day defensive hand gun course at Frontsight.  They are in Pahrump, NV so that requires two days travel each way and 4 make that 5 days in Pahrump.  The fifth day is a one day class for a Nevada ccw class.
Report Spam   Logged

Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 09:26:39 am »

Thanks for the info on the holster types, but one of my problems is that I have a problem with my rotator in my shoulder and the action of the arm to get to a right sided holster causes me pain. I have been practicing off and on with a left to right draw using a home made gun holder (couldn't call it a holster) which seems to work for me, at least it's pain free as I don't need to lift my elbow and push back to get to a right hip mounted holster. I'm beginning to think that I might need to get a custom made holster to fit in with the minor bodily malfunctions in my shoulder joint.

With having four acres to play about in, three acres of which are heavily wooded, I do enjoy popping off a few rounds in the back yard on a fairly regular basis using old aluminum skillets as targets hung on various trees and poles which give a satisfying clang and swing quite violently when I'm on target. I use a fifteen round mag on the semi auto, but to often jams when it gets down to about the last four rounds. I've learned to live with that minor irritation as it doesn't happen all the time. Besides which, if I haven't put down an intruder with the ten rounds before it might jam up I might as well throw it in the garbage.

The Savage is a nice light rifle and when it's teamed with a good scope it's virtually impossible to miss what you're aiming at plus any recoil is minimal to non-existent. You've taken your gun training to levels I probably will never reach, but the level I'm at right now seems to be OK for me.
Report Spam   Logged

werner

Now more than ever

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 12:46:48 am »

Oh No , Gun Nuts Alert Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 04:06:00 am »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: