Fuzzy Logic
Fuzzy Logic
March 29, 2024, 05:11:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Fuzzy Logic Forums

Home Help Search Links Login Register  

It Ain't Really Summer Until the Fires Strike with a Vengeance

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It Ain't Really Summer Until the Fires Strike with a Vengeance  (Read 259 times)
Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 12:28:43 pm »

As of the 1900 briefing today the fire totals 112,888 acres, with 30 percent containment.  Most of this growth has been to the west into Trinity County.  There have been two small towns evacuated there.  The Carr Fire has destroyed 965 homes. Combined with outbuildings and commercial structures, the destruction tally stands at 1,378.  The fire is now the 6th most destructive in CA history.  The number of buildings destroyed or damaged is expected to rise.  The incident command team is cautiously optimistic in gaining control over the fire.  But with the way the winds have been behaving they are also in the same breath indicating that things may not work out as they wish.

A couple of the tv stations that were doing 24 hour fire news in place of their regular programing have cut way back.  I know that krcr had brought in reporters from sister stations as far away as Modesto to help with coverage.

I have had over a dozen friends who have lost their homes.

The weather folks from the tv stations have discovered an interesting way of measuring the fire.  I am sure you have seen radar images during rain storms showing rain fall.  The rain drops are actually particles.  Smoke from the fire is made up of particles.  It is the reflection of the radar beam from these suspended particles (which makes up smoke) that the radar image shows.  With the same colors and patterns as it does for rainfall.

I am hoping the crews are able to stop the western spread.
Report Spam   Logged

Never anger the God of Perversity or Murphy, who is His Prophet.
Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2018, 05:33:02 am »

Christ Steve what a mess it is in Northern Cali. I've been following the disaster and mayhem on the TV news which as you've noted in this thread seems to get worse day by day. I'm glad to hear you and Kathy have not been affected and feel sorry for those who died and those who lost their homes due to the wild fire. The firefighters working on it are freakin' heroes as far as I'm concerned because not alone are they battling the heat and flames they're also working in the heat of the day, it must be gruelling for them.
Report Spam   Logged

A member of that vast right wing conspiracy and Governor of the 57th State.
SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2018, 06:49:22 am »

Oh my gosh! We've been so preoccupied with the grandchildren that I've not been able to watch the news until today. Then I saw these posts. Please flee if the fire gets any closer. We'll be saying prayers for your family Steve and all of the people affected.
Report Spam   Logged
Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2018, 07:14:51 am »

The fire that swept through the western/north western part of the city never got closer than about 7 to 10 miles from us.  We were lucky as the huricane force winds moving the fire were not blowing our way.  Today they indicated that they have full containment on the eastern edge (closest to us) of the fire.  I imagine they are still increasing the acreage of total mop up on that part of the line.  As you noted Fuzzy the figures change rapidly.  The acreage I quoted yesterday and the number of homes and other structures destroyed or damaged are increasing by the hour.  If the smoke leaves at least 3 miles of visibility the planes can work.  Less visibility restricts air operations to helicopters.  And that is if the flipping drone owners stay out of the air.

We are good, safe, and count our blessings.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2018, 12:41:56 pm »

The fire is now over 127,000 acres.  The increase is mostly in the west/north-west.  I copied the verbage from the Record Searchlight's web site:

Separately, a "serious accident review" crew from the weather service was in Redding on Thursday to conduct a storm damage survey regarding a large fire whirl the night the Carr Fire spread into the city. The crew's preliminary survey found the "firenadoe's wind speeds, captured by on video by evacuees, between 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. on July 26 were in excess of 143 mph.  "Preliminary reports include the collapse of high tension power line towers, uprooted trees, and the complete removal of tree bark," the weather service tweeted.

It is the weather conditions that are making this and the other fires in CA so difficult to suppress.
Report Spam   Logged

Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 09:32:47 am »

I saw that 'firenado' on the news. Jeez it looked damn scarey, somebody described it as how they imagine the gates of hell would look. It was hard to disagree with that.
Report Spam   Logged

A member of that vast right wing conspiracy and Governor of the 57th State.
Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 12:17:48 pm »

The Carr fire continues to grow each day.  It is now over 172,000 acres with 7 deaths attributed to it.  The Mendocino Complex down in Lake County is approaching 300,000 acres by now and uncontrolled.  No deaths there however and the number of homes lost is 75.  The Carr fire is also having flare ups around the community of French Gulch.  I keep hoping the winds will stay calm/er and it would be nice if the high temps did not return. 

The Redding Fire Department will be laying Fire Inspector Jeremy Stokes to rest on Saturday August 11.
Report Spam   Logged

SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2018, 11:23:37 pm »

Everyone affected by the fires are in the forefront of our thoughts. Especially you, Kathy and Ms Ginger.
Report Spam   Logged
Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 09:02:58 am »

Just when you think that maybe, possibly that things are starting to calm down...There is a new fire north of Redding along the McCloud arm of Lake Shasta.  This is a USFS fire in steep terrain...AND then another new fire that started near Hat Creek Campground along HWY 299E about 50 miles east of Redding; it is now burning on both sides of the highway.  It has caused the closure of HWY 299E to the east.  No containment at all, who knows how long the highway will be closed this time.

HWY 299W to the coast was just opened today to traffic guided by pilot cars.  It was first closed on July 23.
Report Spam   Logged

SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 12:00:04 am »

does the highway closure impact your escape route? What's the backup plan?
Report Spam   Logged
Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 03:06:20 am »

Redding straddles the cross roads for I-5 (north-south), HWY 299 (east-west), and HWY 44 (east).  If northbound I-5 is threatened we would go south.  We have emergency food, water, and a list to load up the vehicles.  So far, thru the luck of the draw, we have not been directly threatened.

Since I wrote yesterday afternoon, the fire that has closed the eastward traffic on 299 has grown to 2500 acres.  The weather is killing us.

The Carr fire is now approaching 182,000 acres and is 51% containment.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 06:01:38 am »

The Carr fire is now over 192,000 acres.  And I am not sure how they are counting the acres.  This link is to a GIS map done by the City of Redding:  http://redding.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=94b379a91e0f47cb91712da22f603d39   The red dots in the upper north west corner are "hot spots" between the main fire body and a control backfire just above Sugarloaf creek. 

They revised the acreage for the Hat fire to the east of us down to 1900 acres.  Hwy 299 west is still only open to piloted traffic while Hwy 299 east is still closed.

Just another day in paradise  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 10:37:23 am »

Oh my gosh! Please be mindful and don't wait too long to flee! I read an article last summer about a couple that thought that they were safe until they weren't very suddenly. Their already packed car burst into flame and they spent the night in the neighbor's pool which saved their lives but they lost their dog to the fire. Sorry for the dramatic story, but **** can get real in a flash.
Report Spam   Logged
Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 11:53:07 am »

It has been awhile.  The fires still rage on.  The carr fire is holding at 229,615 acres.  The Hirz fire is burning freely with very little containment.  The Hat fire seems to be under control.  But there is a newish fire burning in Modoc county about 100 miles to the east of Redding on Hwy 299.  I used to work for the Forest Service in that area fighting fires many moons ago.

The Carr fire is at 91% containment.  It has burned up to and around the west side of Lake Shasta.  For the latest fire map use the link I posted on July 30 to get an idea of the size.  On page that opens there should be an orange bar with a link to  360 degree aerial views or a before and after map.  Clicking on that will give you another map with "pins" on it.  From a pin you can click and a bar will open with a link to the 360 view of the damage.  The before an after link will show you side by side views of the subdivisions within the city before and after the fire hit.

The smoke will be with us for a while yet.  I suspect at least another month or so.
Report Spam   Logged

SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 10:27:24 pm »

Such devastation! It looks like the Hirz fire is in an inaccessible area for firefighters, a very high elevation?

I can't imagine what the air quality is where the fires actually are. We have smoke in our air here in Texas from the Pacific Northwest fires. Very hazy here.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: