Fuzzy Logic
Fuzzy Logic
April 20, 2024, 06:45:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Fuzzy Logic Forums

Home Help Search Links Login Register  

N-95 Breathing Masks

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N-95 Breathing Masks  (Read 30 times)
Steve E.

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:02:21 am »

Because of the smoke in the air for the last month and a half many folks are wearing N-95 rated masks.  From a web page of the CDC:  The N95 respirator is the most common of the seven types of particulate filtering facepiece respirators. This product filters at least 95% of airborne particles but is not resistant to oil.

Some of them are the semi-ridged type with an exhalation valve but a large number are rectangular flexible ones (read very inexpensive).  Worn correctly the semi-ridged ones will do a pretty good job of filtering out particulate matter.  Worn correctly is the key...too often I see folks using only one of the elastic loops to hold the mask on their face.  I asked one person why didn't they use both loops?  The reply...too much trouble to use the lower one and I am only going outside for a little bit.  I did not even comment to that.  The flexible ones not so good.  What happens with those is the fact they are hard to fit the wearer's face.  If you look at someone wearing one there will be gaps near the nose, alongside the mouth, or under the chin.  These open channels will allow ans significant amount of particulate matter into one's respiration.  Almost as if one was not wearing a mask.

You can tell if a mask is not fitted properly after removing it at the end of your time in the hazardous environment easily.  The particles that get through the gaps will collect on your skin on their way through to your lungs.  This leaves dark marks.  This from my personal experience many many moons ago.  I now wear semi-ridged masks using both of the elastic loops when I feel I need one.
Report Spam   Logged

Never anger the God of Perversity or Murphy, who is His Prophet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 04:44:48 am »

I bet you are having to change out your AC filter more often as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Steve E.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 05:58:34 am »

Yeppers.  Even with doors closed enough crud gets in that the filters show "black" through the spaces in the cover.
Report Spam   Logged

Never anger the God of Perversity or Murphy, who is His Prophet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: