Fuzzy Logic
Fuzzy Logic
April 20, 2024, 01:56:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Fuzzy Logic Forums

Home Help Search Links Login Register  

Hi BonBon....

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi BonBon....  (Read 943 times)
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2014, 06:20:50 am »

Is that different than her2 testing (or whatever it is called)?
Report Spam   Logged
BonBon

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2014, 01:36:44 am »

I think it is, as after my biopsy, they already knew I was HER/EU positive.  They also knew that I was lymph node negative.  This is, I think a more in depth testing to see if chemo would be effective or not.  Don't quote me on any of this... all I know is my Oncologist said if I wasn't open to having chemo, she would not order this test.
Report Spam   Logged
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:12 am »

Most likely they found you lymph node negative, with the sentinel node biopsy and therefore the chemo wasn't necessary.  I had one node positive. Sad Sentinel node testing hadn't been done for too long when I had mine done.  They also didn't do Sentinel node biopsy, because I had two tumors.  Sentinel node is much better after surgery though, because you don't have the problems with lymphedema and swelling, because they only remove the first node instead of many (12 for me).   I have to have bp and all blood draws from the opposite side, because as I understand it, to have a cuff or band for taking blood, can set the lymphedema into motion.  Also with less lymph nodes, the chance of infection is much greater.....(supposed to wear gloves when working outside) and have to be careful with repetitive motion.  Koi show tank cleaning is not a good thing... and I have Dr's orders not to vacuum.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:28:01 am by Ruth » Report Spam   Logged
SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:17 pm »

Nothing better than doctor's orders to skip housework, Ruth!  Cheesy

Did you have a lot of lymphedema? My mom did and still does, but hubby had a total of 17 underarm nodes taken from melanoma surgery, never had any. Maybe men are just less likely to have the swelling?
Report Spam   Logged
Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2014, 11:01:54 pm »

WOW... I think y'all know more about this medical stuff than my primary care doctor. Cool
Report Spam   Logged

A member of that vast right wing conspiracy and Governor of the 57th State.
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2014, 06:12:14 am »

I know of it because of course they told me about after surgery, but I really found out about it myself when I decided the filthy carpets had to be vacuumed and shampooed.  I did too much with that arm, and the next morning the whole left side and mainly my boob, was red.....My arm also swelled and never went down.  It wasn't anything like the lady I used to see at the post office though.  Her poor arm looked like the elephant man bit her. Undecided   So no Pam, I would say I haven't had a bad problem with it......but I am careful after that experience.....it made a believer of me.  I was told that it can just happen, too.......   
So glad your hubby hasn't had a problem with it, Pam.  Does he have to have his bp and blood drawn from the other side since his surgery?
Report Spam   Logged
SimplyPam
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2014, 06:30:35 am »

They don't have problems drawing blood Ruth. His melanoma wide excision was dead center of his back and they took all of his underarm nodes from both sides because the first two they tested were black. We later found out from the pathology that it was tattoo ink that caused them to be black. Longest week of my life because the doctor told me just after surgery that the cancer was likely everywhere but not to tell Jeff so he wouldn't get depressed and give up. Those drains that he had after the surgery were so scary to me, it's pretty outrageous that people are sent home after day surgery for cancer and the spouse is expected to become a nurse! Not that I wasn't willing, it just scared me that I would pull too hard when stripping them. Gave me good experience for helping mom after her mastectomies though.

Sorry to vent on your thread Bonnie  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2014, 07:38:45 pm »

I remember you posting that about the ink Pam......I'm sure it was awful for you.  One tends to think the worse when the Big C is diagnosed.....So glad they were wrong!  I know what you mean about those drains - they were terrible to deal with.  I had such bad clots to strip and the consistency was like rubber  was very relieved to have them taken out.
Yes, sorry BonBon, but I am so glad you didn't have to have lymphadectomy (sp?) along with your surgery....   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
BonBon

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2014, 11:26:14 pm »

Vent away Girlfriends Smiley They took out my Sentinal node, under my arm, and for such a tiny thing...I have a 3 inch scar..it's bigger than the scar left from removing my 2 cm tumor! The lymph node scar took 13 stitches Shocked I was told about not using my right arm or lymphodema might occur, but I was also told to make sure I excersize it or it might freeze. I have perfect range of movement and nothing ever got swollen..knock on wood!  I'm a bit nervous to go to my first radiation appointment tomorrow.  The Cancer Society volunteer called last night to confirm he will be picking me up.  He was venting a bit on the phone, trying to figure out where he was going to put us all in his car.  He couldn't believe they have him picking up 5 of us tomorrow.  I sure hope he has a big vehicle...although, I don't think so...he told me to look for his black car about 1 pm tomorrow.....should be an interesting day..to say the least.  I hope everyone is skinny Wink or I may have to sit on someones lap for the 20 minute drive..Oy Vay Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2014, 04:21:47 am »

The radiation is not bad at all and you won't even feel a thing.  You won't see the burning until after some weeks of treatment most likely.  My cousin just went through it and she showed me a picture of herself.......looked like a browned turkey, but with the cream she used, it really didn't bother her after a week...... I was amazed!  So while they are there zapping you, just put yourself in a frame of mind that it is going to get all (if any left) of the bad cells......and that you won't have to worry about it again.  Hope all goes well tomorrow.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
BonBon

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2014, 04:32:44 am »

Thanks for the encouraging words Ruth!    It's just a new experience and I will lay there, getting zapped and swear at every dang cancer cell that is being killed Smiley

I will not think of myself as a turkey in the oven, getting browned. 

I will think about how great this will be when it's all over!
Report Spam   Logged
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2014, 04:23:14 am »

Wondering how it went BonBon?
As for my oncologist visit.....MRI showed stable - no growth! YAY  And....my Dr. is not gonna make me take the bone juice  Grin - at least yet.....  Have to have another bone scan and if there are changes then he says he will start insisting..... works for me, for now at least.
Report Spam   Logged
Fuzzy
Administrator

Just another dirtball.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2014, 09:04:18 am »

Now then missy will you please explain what bone juice is?

Very pleased to hear that everything is turning out to be good news for you gals. Cool
Report Spam   Logged

A member of that vast right wing conspiracy and Governor of the 57th State.
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:42 am »

Standard treatment after breast cancer treatment when you take the kind of pills many of us have to take (when cancer is estrogen positive), is to take Zometa, or bone juice as I have heard it called.  It's given by IV once per month.....  But with what I've read, the symptoms from the people I've know who have been on it, and my history I chose not to take it.  I was pretty sure he was going to reinforce his wanting me to take it, since my bone scan showed osteopenia.....but he pleasantly surprised me today when he told me we could just keep a close watch on it....and have a bone scan again to monitor it.  The "bone juice" is to supposedly strengthen the bones so they don't break......and thank goodness the osteopenia was in my hip and not in my spine where the cancer was.  My Mom has just recently had 5 fractures......so I am not looking at this lightly, but I also don't want to risk further damage to kidneys or jaw death.....(can be side effects).  Hoping the calcium and vitamin D that I am taking will suffice....
Report Spam   Logged
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2014, 09:50:56 am »

So Bonnie, did you have your treatment?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: